Friday, November 6, 2009

The Importance of Being Learned

I am one of the biggest proponents to getting a college degree and having an education. It’s important to making a life for yourself before ever getting involved in a relationship. I’m probably crazy for that but it seems I am not the only one.

Last night I saw ‘An Education’ by Lone Scherfig. I was delighted to see such a wonderful story that encourages young people to pursue and complete their academic interests.

The movie is set in 1961 so the priorities of young women were a bit different than they are today. Jenny is encouraged by her parents to pursue academic excellence and to apply to Oxford University. Jenny has a great understanding and love of English literature and she intends to continue that love in college.

Along the way life happens and her priorities sway a bit. Ultimately though, she comes back to her starting point – she needs to go to Oxford. I highly recommend this movie. I feel like I might pass the movie along to future generations too.

1 comment:

M said...

I saw a preview of this movie awhile back and heard another favorable review from a film critic and have been intrigued by the film. Glad to hear you liked it.