Monday, November 30, 2009

Deja Vu

Different moments in your life play out as if you are experiencing déjà vu. Two instances that are similar enough to seem like you are repeating a pattern or are the exact same in some particular way, yet completely different.

Twice this year I saw the world happening around me pass diagonally in front of my eyes. By diagonally I mean as I fell at an angle to the floor, everything moved by in a range of degrees swiftly from 90 to 0. This particular perspective happened so fast that it was impossible to even stop or cushion the incidents from happening. Yet, when they were completed some of the actions were a carbon copy.

- People circling in to help me
- The question ‘Are you ok?’ being uttered
- The embarrassment of not being able to see a step in front of my eyes
- The frustration moments later of a new injury to my already bruised and scarred body.

Earlier this year, I took a fall before meeting a friend for lunch and I broke my elbow and sprained my wrist. This event had already marked 2009 as a banner year. And yesterday morning I fell again getting off a sidewalk to try to step onto a bus that was going to bring myself, my husband and other to the airport.

I’m certain that I sprained my ankle due to the new second ankle that has seemed to grow on top of my existing angle. I’ve scraped my knee as well. This will serve as a culminating reminder to an otherwise lovely vacation.

These similar moment will be etched into my memory for years to come and will replay themselves if I should ever find myself being clumsy again.

No comments: