Monday, August 24, 2009

Artichoke Hearts

Summer time is one of my favorite times of year solely for the cornucopia of fruits and vegetables that one finds at markets and stores. I love to eat fresh corn, peaches, nectarines and watermelons. But I especially love artichokes. I try to eat as many of them before the cold weather puts a kabash on that.

Recently, I bought a few to make for dinner and I set a pot of water on the stove to boil when I realized that I had forgotten a couple of things at the grocery store. So I told my husband to keep an eye on the boiling pot for the artichokes while I went to get the missing provisions.

I mustn’t have been gone for more than 15 minutes when I came in and saw whole artichokes bobbing in the boiling water. Yes, my husband had tried to help but ….ah if only cooking artichokes were as easy as popping them in the boiling water. I explained to him that you have to cut them in half and take all the thorny insides out and such. He pouted and walked away saying ‘I didn’t know. I was trying to help.’

If you look at an artichoke, it’s hard to know that you have to do so much preparation. So I giggled at him, not because he was dumb but because he was very cute. The intentions were there and that’s really what makes all the difference.

No comments: