Friday, August 31, 2012

No Comment



I am a big believer of the adage ‘if you have nothing nice to say, then don’t say anything at all.’ I admit that I don’t always follow this rule.  For the majority of the cases, I find it’s easier to just keep my mouth closed than deal with the trouble of voicing the comments scrolling through my brain. Most of the time the thoughts in my brain are not so nice so it’s why it’s best for me to restrain and contain myself. 

Not everyone believes the same things I do. I often find that people say whatever comes to their mind and they don’t filter in any way. This pisses me off because when people do this, what they say is usually incredibly offensive and I’d like to put them in their place. But as I said, I find it doesn’t help things if you have nothing nice to say. So I keep my mouth shut. 

A couple of weeks ago as I walked out of my local Starbucks after getting my morning fix, a woman said to me “What were you due yesterday?” – referring to my pregnant stomach. I was going to let it go. I kept telling myself to just let it be. But it really got to me so I said “Why the hell is it your problem?”  She closed her mouth shut and turned her head away from me.

 I felt excellent! Sometimes there just isn’t anything as satisfying as making someone else close their mouth. I know she didn’t expect me to say anything. Normally I wouldn’t have uttered a single syllable. But I felt compelled to give my opinion – call it pregnancy hormones or whatever. I swear that I was practically skipping all the way to the subway. I know it’s bad of me to gloat but I can’t help it. 

Every so often I still see this woman around and she hasn’t said a word to me and she better not. I seriously cannot be held responsible for the next doozy that comes out of my mouth if she does say something. Just goes to show you, there is definitely a lot of value in holding your tongue but there are moments when it’s important to speak your mind. It’s just a question of which battles you are willing to fight.

No comments: