Thursday, August 16, 2012

The Chase


My dogs bring me lots of happiness and cuddles. They cheer me up when they sense I am sad and like to be silly to make me laugh. They are very sweet. Occasionally though they can be troublemakers though.
This difficulty comes in giving them medicine. One of my dogs is fine with taking her pills to get better but the other one always seems 3 steps ahead of me. I used to be able to hide her medication in peanut butter until she caught on that the peanut butter was not crunchy style and whatever was in there didn’t taste too good. Hiding the pill in her food didn’t work because I’d ultimately find the remains of pills at the bottom of her dish.

Lately I’ve been sticking the medicine in “Laughing Cow” cheeses. This works on most days but sometimes it becomes a struggle. She decides she won’t take the cheese and I find myself chasing her around the apartment. From the kitchen through the living room and then to the bedroom and back through the living room and kitchen again. I try to lower myself to her level so that she will see that I am trying to appease her. She sniffs the cheese, turns her face and off she runs. This goes on for quite some time. My husband usually has to intervene and stick the cheese in her mouth. She then takes it but I don’t like this method because then she associates the cheese with something not pleasurable which makes the cycle continue again and again. I am of the non-forcing train of thought. 

This morning after a little morning run around the apartment, I decided to hide the pill in nutella. It was bad of me but really how can anyone or any animal resist nutella? It worked wonders. I probably won’t use this method every day but heck I know it works. I’ll just add it to my arsenal of pill feeding methods.

2 comments:

M said...

I appreciate your plight but isn't chocolate very bad for dogs?

I was just at a friend's house and noticed that she has some sort of doggie treat that is specially made to hold and hide a pill. This is clearly a problem for many dog-owners.

Angie said...

Chocolate is bad for dogs but desperation puts a fog over reason sometimes.

Those little doggie treats don't work for my dogs. They are onto all of the tricks.