Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Messing with Perfection


I adore Nutella. The chocolate-hazelnut spread has been a food staple in my life for as long as I can remember. As a kid my mom would occasionally buy a jar as a treat. Probably within hours, my siblings and I would consume the whole jar while putting some on some bread or just eating spoonfuls straight from the jar. It was really a piece of heaven to wait as it melted in my mouth.

As I’ve grown older I occasionally purchase a jar myself but not that often. I prefer to have it when I go out somewhere as a treat to myself. The other day I passed by a place that had nutella filled pastries. I could not resist. I bought myself one. The anticipation of eating it had consumed me only to be dropped on the hot concrete when I finally ate the nugget. For some God forsaken reason the bakery decided to mix the usually exquisite and delectable nutella with something else. I couldn’t figure out if it was cream or something else but it adulterated the nutella. 

I wanted to really throw the item back at the place and tell them “What in Christ’s name is wrong with you? You don’t mess with nutella!”I was so appalled by the behavior. Why would anyone taint perfection? I will never figure it out. The only explanation that is satisfying to me is that they must not have any taste buds. There is just no point in messing with perfection!

No comments: