Sunday, August 14, 2011

Snuffleupagus

Living in New York City you never know who you will see walking in the street. Just the other night my husband and I saw Michael Douglas and Catherine Zeta-Jones with two little kids. We both saw them and squeezed each others hand and didn’t say a thing more. We didn’t interrupt them or bother them in anyway. There is an understanding among New Yorkers that you should let celebrities live their lives and not bother them.

About a month ago, my husband and I were going to dinner when we saw someone famous. My husband turned to me and said "It’s Snuffleupagus." I shook my head and said “His name is Stephanopoulus." My husband responded to my correction by saying “That’s what I said." And I just continued to shake my head. As we were walking by the gentleman, my husband proceeded to tell me “Man, he’s short!” To which I am sure I became very red. I’m certain the famous person heard my husband’s comments.

On our way home from dinner, we saw a friend and my husband told her how we had seen Snuffleupagus. She started laughing because she had figured out who he meant even though he was doctoring the celebrity’s real name. My husband continued to mention throughout the rest of the night that the celebrity certainly looked a lot taller on television.

By the end of the night, I really wished we had seen the famous Sesame Street character walking in the street than the poor guy who must constantly be picked on for his lack of height.

1 comment:

M said...

That's cute! When I read the title of the post, I thought you were going to say that you witnessed a Sesame Street character parade or promo event of some sort, and really saw Mr. Snuffie.