Thursday, August 25, 2011

Sneaking a Sip

Walking to work is not a pleasant experience. As my footsteps bring me closer to the building, the dread and lethargy in my body overwhelm me. Occasionally though I do see some uplifting things on my way to work.
Most mornings there is a canine unit out in the street on my way to work. Just seeing the dogs and them playing with their handlers puts me in a good mood. Yesterday, I witnessed a very cute show that made me laugh for most of the day and which made me rethink my walk to work.

There are benches that line the street that I walk by on my way to work. Mostly there are tourists who sit there and eat or take pictures. The locals occasionally sit there to take a breather or to smoke a couple of cigarettes. A particular local yesterday was sitting on one of these benches talking on her cell phone. Sitting right next to her was a super pudgy pug who had his face in her enormous cup of coffee. While he slurped up the coffee, she continued on her telephone tirade not noticing what was happening to the left of her.

The amusing part was not that the dog was lapping up the coffee but that it was a pug that was doing it. Pugs are generally not an active breed of dog so the fact that he was drinking the coffee made me think this little guy was looking to do some exercise. Pugs also have a problem with their noses. Because they don’t have snouts they tend to sound like they always have emphysema. This puggie was no different. He was sipping and sniffling away. I kept imagining him bouncing off the bench and blazing down the street passed the business people and the brokers. Of course that would be my imagination getting the best of me because I don’t think a gallon of coffee would have propelled this puppy in any way. But darn it, he was cute and the sight was delightful.

Regardless, I give the dog credit for being clever and having initiative. I think he figured that as long as his master wasn’t paying any attention to him, he could do whatever he pleased. Even if it wouldn’t result in much energy at the end of the day, he’s still had a taste of a good cup of joe.

No comments: