Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Santa Claus is Coming to Town

Running errands this past weekend was eye opening. The usual bustle and chaos in shops and on the streets was evident from the moment I walked out my door. The crowds were enormous and the lines were long. Nothing unusual for the holiday season really until I saw waves of red and white making their way around my neighborhood.

Hundreds of Santa Clauses were out and about this past Saturday. They were joined by a couple of elves and some reindeer and one big pink bunny rabbit. But what did this all mean?

As hordes of Santa’s convened on a nearby street corner, I realized - it was SantaCon! I don’t think there is an actual reason why the Santa Convention (SantaCon for short) happens except to just bring good cheer and holiday pleasantness around. I certainly got a laugh out of the big pink bunny rabbit. I enjoyed hearing a couple of groups sing Christmas Carols out of tune. Made me appreciate my ipod so much. I did think it was fun and jolly.

I can not say the same for a little boy who saw a bunch of Santas approach him. They stopped in front of him and said ‘Merry Christmas’ in unison with much cheer in their voices. All he could do was being to scream, then cry and wail. I guess he must be on the naughty list this year? I don’t know what could have prompted such an unjoyous reaction!

No comments: