Monday, December 6, 2010

The First and the Last Time

When my husband completed the marathon, I notified my mom that we were on our way home. She asked me if he was well and she told me ‘tell him this is the first and last time he should do that!’ I didn’t really think much of her admonishment because there isn’t much I can really do to control what my husband does or doesn’t do.

So the rest of that week, whenever I talked to her she reminded me ‘This is the first and last time he’s going to do that, right?” or “He got it out of his system so don’t encourage him to do any more.” I treated her suggestions much like Charlie Brown hears his teacher. However, she didn’t stop there.

On a few occasions she saw my husband and said ‘This is the first and last time you are going to run the marathon!’. Or she said something like ‘No more craziness with this running!’ My mom is one of the most persistent people I know.

Mostly she stuck to this because she has arthritis and thinks that running a marathon contributes to arthritis. Truth is, it doesn’t really matter what you do, arthritis happens. She also thinks and I quote ‘There is only one winner so what’s the point?’ And then to have her see that last year’s winner didn’t complete the race only added fuel to her anti-marathon fire! She told my husband, “You see, even the winner couldn’t finish. Why? Because his knee hurt!”

She hasn’t bought this up in the last few weeks but I’m sure it could come up again at any point in time. And that won’t be the first or last time for her to bring something up again. She enjoys beating dead horses.

No comments: