Friday, October 22, 2010

Black Coffee

Jetlag is hard to overcome. Usually a bit of melatonin and trying to get on a schedule based on the location I am at the moment helps. However, this time around it’s been a bit difficult.

Being in Italy for over 10 days makes my relationship with coffee a little different than my daily NYC coffee consumption. While in the Big Apple, I have one cup of American coffee for the most part. I do relish in an occasional treat of another cup on some days but it’s rare. However, in Italy, I end up having at least 3 espressos a day. This creates a problem.

Espresso may have less caffeine than a cup of Starbucks – probably 115 grams to the chain’s 175…but if I have at least 3 of them a day….I’m getting more caffeine!!

More caffeine throws my body out of whack…not really, but on some days it can. Especially when on one day alone I had 6 cups of espresso (the occupational hazard of visiting with family is the constant offering of espresso). The waves of energetic spikes followed by lethargy are tough. And that’s how I am feeling now that I am back in NYC. I have some moments of lucidity and then I just want to curl up and take a nap.

The only comfort is that I know that when I have my coffee, I’m more alert and productive. It’s sad for those who consistently drink coffee and it does absolutely nothing for the mental state – they are still sluggish and unproductive.

No comments: