Friday, April 16, 2010

Control Top

This entry is validating the old adage of ‘be careful what you wish for’. A couple of weeks ago in the entry ‘Motherly Advice’, I mentioned that I asked my mom to help me fix a dress I’m wearing for my friend’s wedding. Seeing that my mom was a seamstress for a long time, I figured she could help me out with this task. It would give her something to do.

But boy did I open a can of worms when I asked her to help me out. Since then my mom has been nagging me to wear a girdle or something to keep my flab in place. Every time I call her, she inserts one of the following comments:

“I can buy you a good girdle if you don’t have one.”
“A good girdle helps when all you do is sit all day.”
“The underwear you wear doesn’t hold you in like a good girdle.”

It’s really maddening. When I could ignore it before, now the constant barrage of control top pantyhose and a good girdle is slowing driving me insane. I’m convinced this is her way of getting even for all my years of rebelling. But honestly, there has to be a better road to insanity than via the good girdle tactic, don’t you think?

Nevertheless, I should have known better than to try to get my mom to help me. It always ends up being a long dramatic production. I’m sure in the past they didn’t involve a good girdle but they had their theme for that particular moment in time.

No comments: