Monday, June 15, 2009

Lost and Found

You probably can’t tell from my blog but I love dogs. I have two of my own and often contemplate adding to my canine joys. Almost every weekend I make time for my doggies by bringing them on a long walk and taking them to the local dog run. Sometimes both of them come along but most of the times, it’s just Foxy (the bigger and younger of my two dogs).

Usually when I go to the dog run I stand around and watch her play with her doggie play friends. But one particular day, I decided to sit on one of the benches on the side because I was very tired. We walked into the dog run and Foxy went to play and I made my way to relaxation. After a bit, Foxy started to look for me and she couldn’t find me standing around. She began to walk around the dog run looking for me but never completely noticing where I was. I assumed she was looking for a stray squirrel so I had no idea what she was up to. As she continued frantically to look at all the human faces and not seeing a familiar one, I realized she thought she lost me.

So I gave her the ‘come-to-momma’ cue and she placed the sound to the location. Upon seeing me, she charged towards me and jumped on top of me that I fell back on the bench. She proceeded to kiss my face and paw me all over. It was a bit insane but sweet. Every other owner noticed this and laughed and awed at the vision. From that moment on, Foxy didn’t let me out of her sight. When the other dogs came looking for her, she didn’t want anything to do with them. She only wanted her momma. She sat at my feet and didn’t budge. I petted her and kissed her knowing how much she loved me.

This was definitely one of those moments when I was truly impressed by the love that dogs have for their masters. I’ve seen moments when both my dogs have known that either my husband or I were sick and they sat by our side for companionship. Often my dogs will get a jealous streak if I pay attention to one more than the other. But I’d never seen such panic on a dog’s face such as what Foxy experienced that day when she lost and then found me again. It goes to show you that animals have complex emotions too.

No comments: