Monday, June 29, 2009

Dental Hygiene

Recently I went to the dentist to get some fillings fixed. I know, you are all very interested in this post because dentists make everyone happy! Skip onto something else if you need to but bear with me because I’m pretty sure my opinions are shared by many.

In this technological day and age, I find it incredibly hard to believe that dentistry still hasn’t advanced much. Drills are the same as they used to be. They are still these little metal tools that rip away at your enamel. Perhaps the way to numb the tooth is a little different now but the essential dental implement is the same. You’d think by now that they could drill through teeth with lasers or something? What about those weird picks to take away tartar? Scrape scraping away at the gums. Shouldn’t there be a simpler way to take care of that?

It seems so odd to me because my dentist (who I happen to really like a lot) has all these nifty gadgets to tell me about my teeth but the tools to take care of them are still very much the same as when I was a youngling. Why is that?

And most importantly, why does Novocain taste so horribly? After all these years of flavoring toothpaste and floss, why does Novocain still taste like a poisonous old sock? Can’t they find a way to make that more pleasant since the rest of the dental visit hasn’t changed much since the dawn of man??

1 comment:

M said...

Actually they do have lasers now to "sheer" off cavities, provide the cavities are small and fairly shallow. I've had it done and it's awesome! No novacaine (which does taste like poisonous old sock--well spotted!), no fillings, and very fast. It's great!