Monday, March 16, 2009

Way to Go, O!

As the economy gets worse and worse, we hear news that AIG is still paying their executives 165 million in bonuses. When I read this in the newspaper, I couldn’t believe it. I even said “You’ve gotta be kidding me!” out loud. The gall of this company! The government bailed them out and what did they do the first time around? They had a party to celebrate the bailout! Now they are going to give their executives bonuses. Excuse me but I think it’s time to just let this company fall.

I’m happy at least that President Obama is looking for a way to block these bonuses. I don’t care if AIG is contractually obligated to pay out these bonuses. These are not normal times! Contracts can be re-written in these kinds of situations! This kind of crap (and that is exactly what it is – crap) is exactly what got us into this mess in the first place. These executives who think that what they do is the most important thing in the whole world. And we can’t just let them keep doing this! There are millions of people who are going to go through such trouble because of the shenanigans of these executives and these executives are continuing to be selfish. Their sense of entitlement is as big as the darn bailout amount! Give us all a break.

This is absolutely ridiculous! When the bailout was suggested, I kept praying that the government would find a way to take a lien on all those past bonuses that these executives have gotten. But that didn’t happen. And the monetary sum required for this bailout has grown and grown and I keep wondering where in heck this money is going to come from. These numbers aren’t even imaginable to me!

I’m am hoping in the deepest part of my heart that karma will come back to get these guys. And I’m also hoping that President Obama finds a way to make these people pay for the leisurely way they’ve been messing up the rest of the world’s lives.