Saturday, March 14, 2009

To Be Or Not To Be - Shakespeare?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/10/world/europe/10shakespeare.html?_r=1&ref=design

Maybe some of you have heard the news of the recently refound portrait of Billy Shakes that was taken during his lifetime. Apparently, an Irish family, the Cobbes had had this portrait in their arsenal for quite some time. Now there is a lot of discussion of whether this is the true Shakespeare or not. But regardless of all of this, I'm psyched. I know "How boring?!"

It's ironic that they should find this picture just around the time when I'm finishing my thesis about none other than Shakespeare!

In a number of articles that I've read about this portrait in the last few days (yes, I have work to do but this is fascinating to me!), one of them said something to the effect that Shakespeare's portrait shows him as pretty good-looking. And they said it matches our conception of Shakespeare looking more like Joseph Fiennes (meow) than someone like Ricky Gervais. This line made me laugh out loud for quite some time. I don't think it would matter to me what Shakespeare really looked like. I'm just excited that this could mean another Bard revival. YAY!!

No comments: