Sunday, March 15, 2009

Another Night on the Town

Last night I had a wonderful dinner with my husband and good friend. Absolutely delectable dishes and silly conversation. It was nice to have spent that time with them and to talk about importand and also ridiculously unimportant conversations.

Towards the end of our delightful dinner, my friend got up to go to the bathroom and my husband got up to let her pass by. As they both stood and made space, I noticed the couple at the table next to us (behind my husband's back). The man was checking his palm pilot device,writing on it with the stylus and the woman was just sitting there looking blankly out into space.

As my husband decided to wait for my friend to come back to the table before re-sitting, I got the chance to watch this little movie happening between this couple. The man continued to check/write into him palm and the woman took a sip of wine, put it down, fixed her hair, looked around, etc.

I began to wonder if this couple was on a date. And I kept thinking that if I were on a date, I'd smack that damn pilot right out of his hand. But she didn't say anything to him so I figured they were married, which doesn't condone his behavior. But it made it seem more logical since married couples rarely listen to each other( right, honey?).

I looked over at the Mexican and made a face and pointed my head in the direction of the couple at the next table. But he looked at some other table. So, I did it again with the express glance of the table closer to us. He saw them but the reason I was doing all this wasn't clear to him.

Finally, my friend came back from the bathroom, and I told her to look at the next table. I explained in Italian that the guy had been working on his palm for quite some time and had been completely neglecting the woman.

So I asked her if she could see if the couple had wedding rings. She looked at the woman and I looked at the man. But it wasn't obvious at all. She said she saw what appeared to be an engagement ring on the woman's right ring finger. She thought this was weird, since we both thought engagement rings should be on the left ring finger.

As we were arguing about which finger an engagement ring should be on, the man was still working on this palm pilot. 10 minutes since I noticed had to have elapsed and yet, this dude kept teching away. That woman must obviously be on a list for the next people to canonize for sainthood. I seriously wouldn't have had the patience to deal with that. Most certainly, that darn device would have found itself kicked out into the street or to pieces under my foot.

Technology definitely lets people know who is important.

1 comment:

M said...

Oh my, Amen to that last line! Technology has definitely redefined the pecking order.