Thursday, January 8, 2009

Pins and Needles #2 and 3

In my quest to reduce the stress in my body, and pain associated with that stress, I’ve been going to acupuncture (as I mentioned in Pins and Needles #1)

The second session was much the same as the first except that I told the acupuncturist that the headaches and pain I’d been having had been getting weaker. So she placed the needles in different places on my back. After the half hour had passed, I didn’t feel much different at all. However, as I left the office, I felt a lot lighter and full of energy and that feeling continued for the rest of the day. I had a pretty great period of focus and attention at work and it was darn cool. So, I was pretty much hooked….

And then session three came along...

For some reason the days leading up to session three were particularly taking a toll on my lower back. And my headaches were manifesting themselves a bit more. No matter what I took for this pain, it didn’t seem to help. I informed the acupuncturist of this and she told me ‘Don’t worry we will fix you up.’

And she certainly did. We began the session with the heat paddles and the needles were concentrated in my lower back…like a little porcupine but who got a Mohawk or something…After 30 minutes like that she came in and said ‘Now we are going to do cupping.’ Uh oh I thought. I’ve never done that before, I thought and said aloud. And she explained how it was done. That some aromatherapy oils would be placed on my back and then small glass jars would be heated around the rims and placed on my back. This would create a suction and then she could manipulate these cups around my back to generate circulation to the areas that needed it.

This, my friends, hurt. Not the heated suction cups, but the areas that were in pain, they hurt!! She concentrated the cups on my lower back. And I admit, I can take an awful lot of pain but this was a little unbearable for me. Once it was over, I wanted to get out of there faster than you can ever imagine. I was in pain for the rest of the day. However, the next morning, nothing. No pain in my lower back at all. The headache had subsided and I was feeling so loose and light. After all that pain, I admit that for what I felt the next day, it was completely worth it. When I had left the office the day prior, I entertained never going back. But I will....for sure. Stay Tuned.

1 comment:

M said...

I'm so intrigued by your acupuncture experiences! This latest treatment with the heated cups sounds interesting, and very painful (so sorry!), and yet somehow logical. Almost makes me wish I had some chronic pain just so I could experience acupuncture for myself. Almost....

Ancient Chinese medicine does it again!