Friday, December 12, 2008

Reading between the Lines

I enjoy taking public transportation for the sole reason that it allows me to catch up on my reading. And I’m always reading something so I try to take public transportation as much as humanly possible so I can get my reading done. Also, I find myself waiting on lines a lot and having a book around always comes in handy in those situations.

What I get a kick out of a lot of the times when I’m on the train is to see what other people are reading. Sometimes I just like to observe their facial expressions as they are reading books I’ve read. Do they like it? What part are they on?

Recently, I saw a woman reading “Special Topics in Calamity Physics” by Marsha Pessl, which is one of my favorite books in recent years. It’s a big book of at least 500 pages. This poor woman was reading through it though while holding onto the pole in the middle of the subway car and she didn’t seem to be flustered or aggravated with having to hold this book up. I could tell she was intrigued and even fascinated by this book and I was happy. I hope she enjoys it as much as I did.

Other times, I see people reading books that I didn’t like and I want to ask them what they think of it – if they like and why. Instead I just sit and observe since it’s easier than getting clobbered on the MTA by a stranger.

No comments: