Wednesday, December 24, 2008

The Idiot Box

A couple of weeks ago, I read the horrible news that two of my recent favorite shows were canned. This frustrated me to no end because both shows were clever and thought-provoking - something that’s becoming harder and harder to find on television. Whenever I turn the television on now, I see more vapid reality shows full of personalities/people that are so ridiculously selfish and petty. So, in watching those, I’m forced to watch the same behavior that I see everyday in the real world. Entertainment should be an escape sometimes. It should not reinforce the quotidian disgusting behavior that emanates in this world.

So good bye ‘Pushing Daisies’ and the wonderful black sense of humor that has made me giggle for the passed 20 odd episodes. I’ll miss the romance and romantic tension that you bring to the small screen in the disguise of solving mysteries. The eccentric interludes of singing that are pulsed through the occasional episode. To a wonderfully talented cast that will be disbursed to other shows that will probably also get cancelled.

And the other show I love is similar in that the talented cast gets to sing and dance and amuse me (and other viewers, of course) during every episode. Ahhhh ‘Eli Stone’, how I love the idea that you could be a prophet in this day and age? Yet, you couldn’t foresee the future of crappy television to save yourself.

It’s just not fair! I’m tired of giving my time and attention to shows that just don’t get picked up. Just like radio stations with too much talk and not enough music, tv has become a boring abyss of stinking reality shows. Why should writers even bother to work their magic for such an unforgiving media?

Oh well….another sad day in the entertainment industry

1 comment:

M said...

I completely agree with you that tv/entertainment should be an escape from reality, not a repeat of everything annoying we've had to endure out in the world all day long. Why would I invite that hooey into my living room??

Sorry to hear your shows have been cancelled. That's always sad. I'm surprised about "Pushing Daisies"--I thought it was quite popular.