Thursday, August 15, 2013

Musical Interludes


I have been inundated with work lately. In order to get through these insane periods and be productive, I listen to music when I’m not in a meeting. Occasionally I listen to the radio. However there is the constant deafening replaying of the same three songs that are popular which makes the radio an annoying option at times.

So what I do when I’m disgusted by radio repetitions is I put my ipod on Shuffle. I have a lot of music on my ipod because I’ve uploaded a number of cds that I have accumulated over the years. During my college years, I spent a lot of time listening to different music so it’s a varied collection.

As a song comes up in the shuffle, I’ll look to see what it is (if I don’t readily recognize it) and usually I’m surprised that I had an album because it has been so long since I’ve heard it in its entirety. Then there are songs that I am always excited to hear because they bring me back to a certain time or place. It’s such an overwhelming feeling of happiness when the song makes me recall a specific moment in time or a great set of memories. Some songs are just so fantastic that you need to sing along to them or you need to do an air guitar or air drums solo. 

It’s amazing to me how powerful music can be. When scientists say that music can help calm you down, I have to agree. Music has a way of relaxing me much like petting my dogs. It also brings a bit of clarity to the mind which is refreshing (although if it’s the same songs on rotation, it’s revolting). To more good music and productivity!

No comments: