Thursday, July 4, 2013

Breakfast Pastry

Yesterday morning when I got off the commuter subway at work, I decided to pay a visit to a mom and pop coffee shop to get my breakfast. I had walked by the business the day before and said "Tomorrow I will check it out." I kept thinking about what I would get there as I walked to the spot. Obviously I'd get a cup of coffee and see what they had in terms of breakfast pastries since that's what they advertised on the chalkboard outside.

I opened the door and walked into the shop at a little before 8 am. I asked for a cup of coffee and I looked around for the pastries. "There aren't any pastries yet?", I asked. "No, we usually get them at around 9."

Needless to say I was disappointed. I was really looking forward to trying one of their items. But I was also upset because I kept thinking:

"Hey, this is my breakfast time. I want my breakfast pastry. Am I being penalized for being an early bird??"

I understand that they were ordering in pastries for the morning rush but the last I checked rush hour usually started before 8 am, not 9. Or maybe I'm mistaken since I only see a handful elbows in my face during my morning commute. Perhaps the true morning rush was before 9 am. This felt like false advertising to me. When was breakfast anyway? I usually had it in the morning but is there a specific time of the morning when breakfast is acceptable and I'd been missing out?

Needless to say, the coffee was very good. It would have been superb if I had a yummy cinnamon roll, muffin or danish to go with it. I'm not sure if I will go back and check on their pastries in the afternoon some day (since I don't understand the breakfast window!). They are lucky the coffee was that good that I'd give them another try.

1 comment:

M said...

I agree, that is strange. It would be like Starbucks not opening until 9 or 10. In a city of commuters and workers, the city that never sleeps, how do they not have their pastries until after 9am? Seems they'd get more business if they had breakfast earlier. However, it also says they don't make their own pastries, so maybe they are mass-produced and not that good, which means you could have saved yourself some trouble in the long run.