Thursday, December 20, 2012

Dreams of my Father



A few nights ago I had a dream with my dad. It had been a while since he visited me during my slumbers. It was a pretty funny interaction too. I woke up with a smile on my face because it was so realistic of how he was.

For some reason in the dream I worked in a small office. It seemed like a doctor’s office – at least it was nothing like the offices where I’ve worked in my recent experience. He came by to fix the window in the office and had finished his task. It was 2:30 in the dream and he stopped by my desk and asked if I could go home yet. I told him that I still had a lot of work to do. So he said he would stick around and go take a nap.
He walked away and came back a few minutes later and asked me where the chair he liked to recline in was. I told him that the bosses had gotten rid of it. To which he replied “Idiots!” He then proceeded to go back to the area where he commenced with his nap.

I wasn’t sure what the dream meant or why all of a sudden my dad was visiting again. It was a very pleasant surprise. It reminded me of some of the other dreams I had of him when he first passed away. 

I had one dream where he was sitting in a hospital bed and he had put on weight. He was eating a dish of edamame and he picked up one of the pods and looked at it as if he had never seen it before. He then proceeded to eat it and made a ‘humpf’ sound to signify that he liked it. 

A few days later I had a dream that he, my husband and I were walking down the street. We came upon a man who was selling gallons of olive oil for 11 dollars. When my dad saw the price, he stopped and told the guy he wanted to buy all the olive oil he had. He turned to us to tell us that "11 bucks for olive oil is a great price.” 

It’s funny that I remember these things about my dad and that they are manifested in my dreams in the way they are. This last dream put a smile on my face which is something I need to keep remembering to do when I think of my dad.

1 comment:

M said...

What a sweet way to remember your dad and feel him with you again!