Monday, July 26, 2010

O Canada!

More than a month ago, I went to Vancouver and Victoria B.C. in Canada. I had been to Vancouver before and remembered liking it immensely. Going again only solidified my original idea. Vancouver is such a lovely and green place. The people there were super friendly and overall, it was clean and easy to get around.

Stanley Park, one of the main attractions in Vancouver, was verdant and immense, even if it was raining a bit while we were there. The views of the water and the mountains surrounding Vancouver made it look like a postcard!

We took a ferry to Victoria one day and although it was a bit chilly, the views were worth it - lush greenness everywhere. Seagulls flew alongside our boat and didn’t caw at us like the seagulls in the States do.

I’ve been to Canada a number of times and each time I am so blown away by how polite everyone is. One of the public buses actually had a note on the front saying ‘Out of Service. Please wait for the next bus.
Sorry for the inconvenience”. I nearly fell on the floor because you would never see Manhattan public transit take responsibility for any of the transportation issues, much less be nice about causing the inconvenience.

It just makes me wonder why we’ve become so rude and impolite here in NYC. I know the idea of the Big Apple is all about getting ahead and it’s dog eat dog. But is it really any better to be nasty to each other? I don’t think so. We could learn a lot about niceness and leading a more pleasant life by taking some pointers from our neighbors to the north.

No comments: