Thursday, July 22, 2010

Exercise Partners

In the summer months I tend to spend the weekends out on Long Island at my parent’s house. As much as I love going there and enjoying the place, I don’t have access to my local gym to do my daily workouts. To make up for this I do exercise DVDs. I have an array of them – mostly from ‘The Biggest Loser’ line. I find them helpful and challenging and I get my exercise in during the weekend.

While I work out, I get the occasional assistance from Foxy. She’s my personal trainer. She comes over when I am doing ab work and licks my face to let me know I’m doing a good job. Often too when I am working on my butt and thighs, she’ll lean over and lick the sweat off my face. Whenever I do yoga, she encourages me by showing me exactly how to do ‘downward dog’. She says I don’t put enough emphasis in my shoulders. I couldn’t agree more with her recommendations. Whenever I’m cooling down, she’ll come over and help me with straddle stretches by getting between my legs and giving me her belly. This way as I rub her stomach, I’m going lower into my stretch.

Foxy is far more interested in my well being but that doesn’t mean Bonnette doesn’t care. Sometimes when I am doing crunches, I see her between my feet and she smiles at me. She too enjoys licking my face to remove the perspiration that is accumulating.

Last weekend, I encouraged my sister to do a yoga workout with me. It was challenging in the extreme humidity. Foxy made sure both my sister and I were not overheating by going back and forth between us and kissing us. When it came to the cool down, my sister and I were doing some stretches on the floor, pulling our knees to our chests. Foxy decided that it was a good time to show us how she does this stretch. She got on her back too, showed us her tummy and pulled in her knees and arms. While doing this relaxing stretch, she showed us how important it is to stick your tongue out when doing rigorous exercise in the heat.

The Mexican walked by while we were doing our stretches and wished he had a camera to capture the yoga class that we were conducting. I called this yoga session – ruff yoga for Foxy. I’m grateful that she’s always so on top of my health.

No comments: