Monday, December 28, 2009

Pillow Talk

One think I’ve learned as I’ve grown older is to lighten my load when traveling. Bringing and packing the bare minimum because it makes things easier when you have to get to the airport and when you are in the airport too. There’s nothing more annoying than having heavy things slowing you down.

I also bring a bag that I use as my carry-on that has a change of clothing and some toiletries. After being stuck in some remote place without a toothbrush and a change of underwear, you begin to see the value of that.

Something very common that I’ve noticed over the years is people traveling with a pillow. This strikes me as odd on a number of levels. First of all because no matter how you hold a standard pillow, it’s always bulky and cumbersome. It’s an exasperating thing to carry.

Secondly it’s odd because if you are traveling alone, where do you put it when you go to the restroom? I barely want to step into some airport bathrooms with my feet covered in biologically protected footwear. Why would I want to bring an item that touches my face into an unsanitary place like that?

I know it’s tough to sleep on planes and the daily comforts that we take for granted can play a big part in making these trips easier. But I just don’t think in the long run dragging a pillow around is more of a hassle than it is worth.

1 comment:

M said...

Hee hee. I remember traveling with my pillow once or twice, but I think it was when I was actually moving cross-country and I wanted to be sure I had my own beloved pillow with me in the new spot, but of course couldn't use valuable suit case space to pack it. You raise a good point about all the germs that the pillow could collect in transit. I think pillows are so personal and intimate, they become comfort items when you are traveling far from home. Like a stuffed animal or a blankie, only more socially acceptable for anyone over age 8 to carry. :)