Monday, September 14, 2009

Leaves of Tea

About a month ago, I co-hosted a baby shower for a dear friend. One of the key parts of this event was a tea leaf reading. I think fortune telling can be great fun. I’ve had my palm read on numerous occasions and have had my tarot cards done as well. However, I’ve never had my tea leaves read.

In hindsight some of the things that were told to me at past fortune telling events have actually come true. I find this fascinating because at the moment when the actual fortune is being told, I think it’s a big bowl of malarkey. Of course everything is a thousand times clearer in hindsight, don’t you know.

My reading contained an awful lot of animals which lead many of the attendees of the baby shower to conclude that perhaps I am moonlighting as a farmer when I’m not working in corporate America. The first animal that was mentioned was the zebra. The explanation of this animal is that I have to accept change because like a zebra “I can’t change my stripes.” So at some point in the next couple months a major event was going to happen that I just had to accept. Hmmmm…

Along with the zebra, there were a number of dogs which made complete sense since I already have two. In the company of these two dogs, I’d be adding another dog in a few short months. The description of the dog was given to me as well. I’ve certainly kept my eyes peeled for this dog.

Then the menagerie became a little odder. Somehow I’m supposed to meet a horse. The fortune teller asked me if I liked horses and I said, “I don’t dislike horses. As long as an animal isn’t a snake, I’m ok with it.”

A couple of weddings are supposed to happen in which I’ll play a big part. I didn’t realize I knew so many people getting married in upcoming months. Fascinating really. The utterance of a cat was conveyed of which I’d have to be most careful because it represented a woman in my life.

The last of the animal kingdom to make an appearance in my fortune was a turtle. The turtle represented calmness because a turtle just floats in the ocean and doesn’t disturb and isn’t disturbed by too many things. Ultimately, things would seem easier in my life by the end of next year.

It was a pretty interesting activity and everyone who had their leaves read discussed their fortunes with the other attendees and some were very funny. Overall, I’m happy with what the fortune teller had to say because at least I won’t be plagued by a pointy-faced man who happened to grace a couple of the other ladies’ fortunes.

1 comment:

M said...

I wish I had written down what the tea leaf reader said about me, b/c now I can't remember most of it! Something about meeting someone who will develop into a very significant, healthy, long-lasting relationship in the next few months, and then getting engaged or married next year--that's mostly what I remember. Oh yes, and the fair-haired woman coming from far away to see me this fall.

PS The pointy-faced man she saw in others' tea leaves is Count Olaf. :)