Sunday, August 10, 2014

Runaway Puppy

Most of the weekends during the summer are spent at my parent's home on Long Island. It is close to the beach and close to the outlets (a particularly great point for me). One of my dogs loves it because there is plenty of room to run around and explore and to also chase birds. The other, older dog doesn't care either way if we go or not. She has a bed and she spends most of the time sleeping at her age anyway. On occasion, she does take a walk around and likes to see what's going on and what we are doing.

A few weekends ago, I went out with my sister and daughter to go grocery shopping. We ran some other errands as well. When we came back to the house we found my husband pacing and searching around the front of the house. He looked very upset. I asked him what happened and he said that B (the little, old dog) had gone missing. Incredulous to the news that was reported to me, I asked "what do you mean?" He said that he was working on putting in the air conditioner and when he went to check on her, she was not in her normal spot. He told me that he looked all over the house and around the grounds but he wasn't able to find her.

I couldn't start my search because I had to give my daughter something to eat and let her have her nap. After she fell asleep, I had my sister keep watch of the premises while I went out to investigate. My husband went around the neighborhood with the car. As I looked around and couldn't find her, I began to worry. My dog is 15 years young and despite being peppy and small, she does not see or hear very well. Being the pessimist that I am, the worst possible scenarios popped  into my head. I kept thinking I would find her crushed by a car or tossed on the side of a road after being hit.

When I couldn't find her, I went back home, tears streaming down my face. I began to prepare a flyer to post around the neighborhood and to give to neighbors. Luckily, my super calm and quick thinking sister had called the animal shelters and veterinarians in the area. She was informed that a dog matching my pooch's description was picked up. My husband had gone to get her but he had advised my sister not to tell me anything in case it was not B. My sister told me regardless because she knew how distraught I was.

But I was hopeful! Although of course, I still cried. Thinking of my life without my puppy was unimaginable. When he finally arrived at the shelter, he called to tell us "She's here and she's fine." I was super happy and the tears that I shed in sadness had turned to ones of joy.

When she arrived home, she walked to her bed as if nothing had happened. She looked at us staring at her as if we had lost our minds. My husband reported that when they asked for her description he gave it to them saying "She's white with black spots, has a couple of growths on her belly and tons of attitude!" The clerk said 'oh yeah, she's here alright!" 

Luckily everything turned out well -- the crisis was averted. I am seriously considering getting lojack for her though. That's why they have all these chips and devices you can implant in your pets now-a-days for situations like mine, where you never think it will never happen, until it does.

No comments: