Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Thank You Notes



I can’t begin to express how happy this article in the New York Times today made me. Not only do I love this segment of Jimmy Fallon’s show but I also love a good thank you note. Honestly, I love any personal note in the mail, which is why I still keep up with correspondence. 

I am thrilled to see that there is still some value in sending ‘Thank You’ notes to people. And I’m even more excited to know that an article has been written about this to propel people to do it more often. 

I’m not sure when I became such a proponent of the gratitude note. I’ve always loved writing instruments – pens, paper, etc. I was encouraged to send notes when people gave me gifts or attended events in my honor. Instead of cringing at the chore, I remember sitting at my desk for a few hours perfecting each individual letter to make it even more personal. 

As much as I want people to take up this practice, it’s nice that only a handful of people still do it. It is a very nice detail. It  makes them stand out in a sea of technology and unfeeling communication.

1 comment:

M said...

Richard Branson just posted on this same topic on his blog, probably spurred on by the NYT article: http://www.virgin.com/richard-branson/why-we-should-all-send-more-thank-you-letters