Monday, October 21, 2013

Sunday Best (Maybe)


I am an early riser and there is nothing I like better most weeks that Sunday morning. Most people are slumbering when I get up and go grocery shopping. There are no lines and just a few people so I can get it all done in a half hour. Unless everything goes wrong, like it did yesterday.
I knew that there was a charity walk but I figured it would be later in the morning…not at 7:30. When I got to my local coffee house, the line was incredibly long that I decided to skip it altogether. I figured that if I got on the line and got my coffee, I’d be late at the store. And just a few minutes makes a big difference in the amount of people at the grocery store.

So I forewent my caffeine, which normally relaxes me (yes, I get the irony of coffee relaxing a person) to try to get to the store. But the streets were filled with packs of people in pink who were screaming and yelling and hoarding up the sidewalks. No one should be subjected to that much noise on a fine Sunday morning. Trying to get around and to avoid these herds just put me in an even worse mood. 

Luckily, the store was very quiet and there were only a few people. I got my shopping done very quickly but as usual, I went a bit off my shopping list. This veering off led to my grocery bags being heavier than I anticipated. (Did I really need those potatoes? I thought in hindsight.)

Normally I could have walked home, even with the heavier weight, in a few minutes. But between the heavy bags and the charity cattle, it took me 20 minutes to get home. Needless to say, I was pretty perturbed when I walked in the door. Even though I was greeted by cuteness in every way, I was in a very bad mood due to my numb arm and lack of caffeine. 

I tried to remediate the situation by going to get coffee elsewhere. I thought I’d visit a mom and pop shop to encourage small business. I was very excited to try the roast that was described to me. I put in my sugar and continued my walk with M. When I finally sipped the coffee (because I wanted it to cool down a bit), it tasted like bitter rust. It made me even more upset than I already was. I decided to cut my losses and I tossed out the rest of the coffee. I decided that perhaps today just wasn’t my coffee day. I went all day without coffee. Needless to say, I was grumpy and tired the rest of the day. Those two adjectives do not make a nice girl in the least. 

It just goes to show you that little things do mean a lot. A nice cup of coffee is a morning ritual for some (ahem Me!) which set the stage for the rest of the day. And people should not be so obnoxious, no matter the reason, any Sunday morning. It is the day of rest for a reason. It is a rest from the chaos of the week so people just be quiet!

No comments: