Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Little Things

People have often said it's difficult to buy me gifts. While they may think that's true, I disagree. I am pretty vocal about the things I like and don't like. If people pay attention to that alone, I think they are off to a good start.

I enjoy paper and pens immensely. I do have a lot of them but they do give me an inordinate amount of pleasure. I am a big believer of correspondence. I have a few good friends with whom I still correspond with either exclusively or occasionally. It gives me great joy to get letters from these people even if it's a short note or a card. These papers and pens and cards come in handy when I write to these people! So that's why I also like them.

On the subject of cards, a really thoughtful and sentimental card goes a long way with me. If there is a personal note to go along with it, that's an even bigger plus. I love books and I will never turn down chocolate, even white chocolate! (which is admittedly my least favorite of the types of chocolate.) I thoroughly enjoy tea and coffee too.

Gift cards are also a very personal thing for me. A lot of people find that they are impersonal. But I think that if you get someone a gift card to a place you know they love, what's better than letting them choose something for themselves? I'm weird that way, I guess.

It really is at times the little things that make a big deal. Case in point, more than a month ago it was my birthday. I admit it was crushing when some people I thought very highly of, who meant a lot to me,  completely forgot about it. Life is hectic and people are busy; I understand these facts.  However one friend got me a bunch of very cute little gifts - one of which filled me with a lot of glee. It was a miniature stationery kit. In it there were small pieces of paper, small envelopes, a small pencil and a pencil sharpener. For added cuteness, there were even little stickers. The moment I received this gift, I used it to send a letter to the person who sent me the gift. Then I used another 3 pieces of papers and envelopes to send 3 other letters within the next few days. I just thought it was the most adorable and sweet gift! And it was a little gift, literally.

I know I am a complicated person. I love to discuss difficult subjects at large, especially in French. I read all types of weird books, although mostly I read fiction. I'm intrigued by ideas and what makes people tick. When it comes down to it though, I'm not that hard to please. Say what you mean, mean what you say, actions speak louder than words, dogs and babied make my day and chocolate makes the world go round.

1 comment:

M said...

:D

Beautifully-written post (and not just b/c I was indirectly featured in it!).