Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Tasteless

The title of this entry would suggest that I am going to rant about the horrible fashion trends that I notice but that will actually have to wait for another entry. Today I’m going to talk about sinus infections. I’m sure most of you will turn away now.


I am unblessed with seasonal allergies. Every year as the blooms bud and the flowers appear, I am reeling in pressure headaches, watery eyes and sneezing. I don’t usually mind because I take medication to control the symptoms. But this year when I thought that my medication was working, it wasn’t helping me clear out the fun stuff that accumulates in my nasal passages.

I am plagued with a sinus infection. I tend to get one every year for different reasons but it’s usually in the summer when I’m around air conditioning. This time around my symptoms were a little different; I ran a fever and had chills. My head felt like it was simultaneously a hot air balloon that was being squeezed into a vise, which is the normal feeling. This time around dizziness settled in as well. If it weren’t for my head, you’d think I was fine. I still had pep and vigor to clean and cook but I was just a little delayed due to blowing my nose and needed to breathe.

Luckily I feel better now except that I can’t taste anything and I can’t smell. It’s actually gotten worse in the last few days instead of better. I had coffee with hazelnut syrup yesterday and all I could taste was what seemed like warm water. All my flavored teas seemed like warm sock water. Iced drinks were the same. My spicy food doesn’t seem spicy even though my lips are still burning so it’s good to know some things are working. Wasabi didn’t give me my usual brain kick but it did make my nose run. So maybe this isn’t too bad in practice.

From blowing my nose, I blew out an ear and can’t hear too well. Every time I blow my nose now, that same ear makes a beeping noise. My nostrils are sore and peeling and aside from the fact that I’ll definitely win Miss America from present appearance, I’m doing better. Thanks for asking.

The best part of not being able to smell is that I don’t have to really worry when my husband warns me to not go to the bathroom after he’s gone. Usually I hold off but since I am not phased in this regard, I don’t have die by making my bladder explode.

1 comment:

M said...

Oh man, it sounds miserable!! I'm glad you're feeling a little better although it sounds like it will be a few more days yet before you're back to normal. Hope the "fun stuff" in your sinuses clears out soon!