Monday, March 25, 2013

Counterintuitive

I dragged myself to another spinning class yesterday. One of my friends ended up meeting me there although we didn’t sit close to each other as we had in the previous week’s class. In general it’s hard to get to gym when you aren’t used to it. When I was going almost every day before pregnancy, I’d practically jump out of bed and be at the gym without a single doubtful thought entering my mind.


Lately it’s tougher. I find myself justifying reasons to not go. I have to floss my teeth. Hey, we are out of milk. My toe nail polish is coming off. Whatever insignificant reason, I’ll use it. However the main reason is I’m tired. Or I’m in pain from running 5 insane hours of errands the day before! Anyway, I did get there which is a big step.

For some reason, maybe 10 minutes into this class, I wanted to vomit. It’s not something I like to associate with exercise but on occasion it happens. Mostly I breathe through the huffing and puffing and hope it will go away. It did subside a few minutes later only to rear its head again about 10 minutes after that. I pushed through it as much as I could. I found myself breathing harder and harder. Not enough to pass out but it was getting there. Again, I focused on my breathing to try to get the nauseated feeling to go away. It worked momentarily.

I adjusted the resistance on the bike to drink water and try to recover. It felt better. The last few minutes of class, my heart was pumping as if I had been chased by a ravenous bear. Finally the class was over! Phew!

We stretched and left class. I met up with my friend and she commented too on wanted to throw up. I felt better because I thought it was just me. Everyone coming out of the class looked generally like they had been hanging by cliff with their nails. Ahhh so it was just a tough class!

I was telling my friend how this one instructor told me that if you feel like throwing up in a class that it was a good thing. It meant you were pushing yourself and your heart. I also recalled telling that instructor that I never considered wanting to vomit a good thing, especially since it’s something I try to avoid in general since it feels so horrible. I guess there are a lot of things in life that are a bit counterintuitive. Sometimes you are skeptical and think it’s you but usually there are others who feel the same way. That’s always a relief.

1 comment:

M said...

I've felt that way before when exercising too, a few times. Like you, I don't take it as a good sign. Generally if I ease up a bit the feeling will go away. It's annoying to think that your body doesn't always respond the way you want it to, even when you're trying to help it!