Thursday, January 17, 2013

The Doctor's Visit


My little munchkin had her 4 month checkup last week. It was an interesting visit from the get-go. I was almost finished removing her footed pajamas when she decided she needed to show me, and the doctor walking in, that she wanted to turn over. The doctor saw this action and commented that she was ‘a little show off.’

After turning her over and getting her to stay on her back, the pediatrician asked her how she was doing. She responded by showing the doctor her foot. The doctor commented on how it was an exciting foot and that it certainly provided a lot of entertainment for my daughter. From there the doctor asked her how she was feeling; my daughter promptly presented her fist. The doctor giggled and said “that is a lovely little hand”. 

After the niceties were done, the doctor proceeded to examine the internal organs around my baby’s stomach by pressing her tummy. My daughter responded to this by putting her hands behind her head and smiling at the doctor. The doctor said “This is my favorite stage – 4 and 6 months”. My daughter continued hamming it up with the doctor and the doctor said “I have a boyfriend for you.”

This prompted a long conversation because I suggested that the doctor must have parents who want her to set their kids up with matches.  She said that actually they didn’t do that but it would be a great service. Especially because she knows the kids until they are 18 and she knows the families too. She ultimately got to a point where she said you can tell a lot by a kid based on their parents. She said my daughter was not high maintenance and was very happy. She suggested that it’s because my husband and I aren’t ‘frequent fliers’ – meaning we don’t go to her ever two minutes about stuff. The doctor said that there were some parents that she saw every week. I could see that happening with some people based on their personalities but I hope I am never like that.

I admit that my daughter’s interaction with her pediatrician made me chuckle. She was so relaxed until she had to get her vaccinations.  Very quickly thereafter though, she calmed down. As we left the examination room, she smiled at the doctor again. She made me very proud. I hope that she continues to be such a friendly and unflappable little pumpkin.

1 comment:

M said...

Aww, cute baby M!!