Thursday, January 3, 2013

Baked Goods

I was never good at chemistry. In fact it was my least favorite subject in high school. It was far too precise for my taste – measuring moles and ingredients just seemed so tedious to me. Hence, I don’t like to bake. I am far too free in my interpretations of recipes to be good at baking, which is why I LOVE bakeries and pastry purveyors. They make and provide for my insane sweet tooth much better than I ever could.


As far as cravings are concerned, I don’t recall too many while I was pregnant – some weird French delicacies were all I remember wanting. However once I gave birth I had an insane obsession with cookies but not just any cookies – cookies with walnuts in them. I still have no idea why I had this urge. I would go out on my walks with the baby in search of chocolate walnut cookies at a local bakery. Or I’d get Mexican Wedding cookies from another place (theirs had walnuts in them). I’d shovel the cookies into my gourd alone or accompanied with a glass of milk. I couldn’t get enough of them! It probably had something to do with the lack of sleep and the need to eat something quickly before the baby would wake up.

I thought about trying to bake them myself to curb my spending but I had other things to do –laundry, sleeping, walking the dogs. Now that I’m not as obsessed with them, I thought I’d give it another try. I bought all the ingredients and…they are sitting in my pantry unused. Maybe one day I will find the time to bake these darn walnut based cookies, but it isn’t happening anytime soon.

1 comment:

M said...

Ha ha that is a great anecdote. Walnuts... interesting craving. I do love cookies, though, and frequently crave them. What are the cookies you were thinking of making? I happen to have some walnuts at home that I bought for something else I wanted to make, so send me your recipe and I'll whip you up a batch of cookies. I like to bake.