Thursday, November 1, 2012

The Calm After the Storm

Hurricane Sandy came and went. She took a lot with her when she left - many lives and houses were taken in her movements. Parts of New Jersey and New York are completely flooded and the power is out for many people. So many people are displaced and things will take a long time to get back to normal.

It has been so sad to see all the damage - not only for this storm but also when we think of all the ones this country has had in the last few years. It's always so hard to see the pictures and the reports of the devastation when it comes to natural disasters because there is so little that we can do to avoid it. Even if you take precautions ahead of time, there is no guarantee. How can you avoid a generator from blowing out and having to evacuate a hospital in the middle of the night? No matter how many sand bags you put up, how can you escape a storm surge that is 12+ feet above sea level. You can only hope and pray for the best and even that isn't enough.

I have seen my beloved city go through so much in the past decade and more. Thankfully, we do have a way of getting back on our feet. But those initial pictures and those early moments are so disheartening. You do begin to wonder if there isn't some universal force that has it in for the Big Apple.  Like those times before, we will work together and we will survive. Even if we have to do it under such difficult circumstances.

Luckily my family is fine and I am thankful for that. But my heart and prayers go out to all those that have not been as lucky. I wish that I had magic to clear away all the damage and destruction. Since I don't have those powers, I send my help in some other way. Please take a moment to help those who have not been fortunate in Sandy's path.

1 comment:

M said...

A thoughtful and heartfelt commentary on the storm and its impact. I, too, am keeping all the Sandy victims and first responders in my prayers and wish there were a way I could help them more.