Friday, May 7, 2010

Dismissal Observations

Whenever I see someone preparing to leave work for the day, I try not to bother them. The rush to get the heck out of work is a very powerful force. I know to stay away from them.

It’s pretty obvious to realize when someone is getting ready to leave work. Here are some of the signs:
1) They usually shut down or log off their computer.
2) They may pack their purse or shoulder bag.
3) If it’s appropriate weather, they may put on their coat or jacket.
4) Have a very fixed gaze towards the door
5) They might say ‘Well, I’m going home now. We can talk about it tomorrow.”
All very good signs of what is to come.

Lately, I’ve noticed that these signs don’t seem to be working for people I work with. I’m not one of those people who leave work at 5 o’clock on the dot. But darn it, when I do, I want to get the heck out of there. And I don’t want anything getting in my way.

But the past few times I’ve tried to leave at 5, people have come to my desk at 4:55 and begun to talk to me. I’ve explicitly stated “I’m leaving soon so can we talk about this tomorrow?” They don’t seem to care. Even as I’ve shut down my computer, packed my bag and push through them, they have continued their barrage of questions and comments. I’ve been really wondering why no one wants me to go home!

Hopefully others don’t feel as though they have to tackle people to get out of work everyday.

No comments: