Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Anger and Loathing in Las Puntas de Vista

The last few weeks have been anger provoking in many ways. Despite the joy that I feel about the next administration, I’m aggravated by the mistakes and burdens that the current administration has left for us. One of the biggest frustrations is the economy.

The government bail out that was passed a couple of weeks ago has absolutely angered me because I don’t think we, the American people, should have to help out the big businesses that have put us in this financial peril. I didn’t get a mortgage for a house I couldn’t afford through a bank that promised me that I could afford it. And I never played the stock market or purchased risky stocks or hedged my bets on such stocks. I’m thinking that a lot of people are a lot more like me than those people who went a little money crazy.

So why should I have to pay for these mistakes and for their greed? And what I’m also wondering is what is happening with this bail out? I have yet to see a concrete plan but I keep hearing about more money needed for more banks who continued to do business without seeing the red flags. Granted I know the plan won’t come until the next administration, but I think that the current administration is wiping their hands clean of the messy and repulsive situation that they helped to create.

I still want to know why they didn’t take a lien out on the property of the people who got enormous bonuses over the past few years to assist with the bailout. Why should they have to keep the fruits of their rapaciousness when a lot of people have managed to live within their means or have lived from paycheck to paycheck putting off the things they want for yet another year?

Maybe I’m missing part of the picture. I just know that I’m tired of these big companies – banks, insurance etc taking advantage of the little guy. And it’s little guys that created this country so stop stepping on us!

1 comment:

M said...

I agree with you wholeheartedly Angie. Every time I hear about plans for the government to bail out or loan money to yet another industry or business or group, I cringe inwardly. I think this is all going to put us in a lot of trouble down the line, in so many ways. My own feelings about having been fiscally responsible and now having to bail out people who weren't aside, I just can't help thinking that no good will come of all this bailing out in the end.

PS Ten thousand bonus points to you for using "rapaciousness" in a blog post! :)