Friday, June 22, 2012

Cravings


Being pregnant has many stereotypes associated with it – the insane mood swings and the bizarre needs in the middle of the night, along with other things. Most of what people think of when they talk about pregnant women is cravings. I have heard some weird ones in my day but honestly I don’t see them being any different than wanting to eat something particular when you aren’t pregnant.
A few months ago in the beginning stretches, I really craved French food. I wanted Steak au Poivre like crazy and escargot. When I mentioned this to a couple of people they said I just wanted to go to Paris and that was what was feeding the craving. I said to them “Um no, I think I want the food!” There’s no denying in my mind that I wouldn’t have preferred to get on a plane and have those authentic meals in their birthplace but the urge was more about the food than the need to get on a plane.

When I finally had my escargot and steak (along with potatoes au gratin), I felt satisfied and happy. Just goes to show you what wanting a specific meal can trigger in a person’s body. Mind you, I still wouldn’t have minded getting on a plane but that was nothing a couple of Parisian inspired movies wouldn’t help.

And yes, it was a weird craving, especially the escargot. But hey, I like my French food! Also, what was funny is that I’ve craved these things even before I was pregnant so if people had been paying attention they would have noticed it wasn’t anything unusual. Every so often I wanted a lovely steak tartare or a French steak prepared any way and I often order escargot when I go to French restaurants. But oh well, people only remember what they want and like to attribute things to odd pregnancy cravings. Really, these are just my usual slightly odd cravings.

1 comment:

M said...

If you had suddenly started craving kimchee all the time, then you could have attributed it to pregnancy!